Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"I Showed You Your First Tec On Tour With Large Professor"


I've always wondered about that Jay-Z line in "Takeover" that calls out Nas for keeping his "tec on the dresser". To refresh your memory it goes "You scribbled in your notepad and created your life/I showed you your first tec on tour with Large Professor/(Me, that’s who!) Then I heard your album bout your tec on the dresser". Well the back story has been unearthed in a very dope Large Professor piece done for XXL back in 2002 (okay, so it was unearthed 8 years ago but I just caught wind of it recently).


Excerpt:


Main Source soon set off on tour, along with the UMCs and Jaz. One particular night of that tour came up recently in the very public catfight between Jay-Z (then Jaz’s hypeman) and Nas (who rolled with Main Source). During a show in Washington D.C. the sound system cut out, forcing the artists to do the same. The angry crowd rushed the stage and chased the rappers back unto their tour bus.


“We were figuring we were gonna have to knuckle down,” explains LP of the incident, which Jay has used to attack Nas. “Jay came outta nowhere, reachin’ in his gym bag like, ‘Don’t even sweat these niggas. I got that.’ He didn’t show [Nas] the gun like, ‘I’m gonna shoot you,’ but we were all just like, ‘Whew!’”